8.11.13

Allegiant's Ending, Spoilers, and Why I Loved It

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.  THERE ARE SPOILERS AHEAD FOR ALLEGIANT AND CLOCKWORK PRINCESS.  IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE SPOILERS, GIVE THIS A READ AT A LATER TIME.

You can read my non-spoiler review after the jump.

You have been warned...

Okay, so the ending.  Let me start with a question...

Was I the only one who saw that coming?

I mean, all three books were alluding to that ending.  Just think about it for a second.

As far as endings go, I liked this one.  Not all endings are meant to please everyone.  I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been rooting for Tris and Tobias.  Despite everything suggesting they weren't going to make it, the pair of them pushed through and yay love.  But love can't stop death, and Tris kept jumping into situations where it was going to happen and managed to make it out each time.  She was defying the odds, but odds catch up eventually.

Am I saying I'm glad that her character was killed?  No.  But I will say this, I was more upset over Uriah dying that Tris.  That one hurt.  I get the anger that happens when an author kills off a character that you love and admire.  I'd have been mad if Richelle Mead had killed Rose in Last Sacrifice, or if Jennifer L. Armentrout does the unthinkable to Alex in Sentinal.  It sucks, but not everything always ends with sunshine and rainbows.  I get the anger, I really do.  

The emotions brought forward by Tobias and Christina sold the ending for me.  That is what should remembered.  That is what I am taking away from the book.  Those last few chapters in Tobias' perspective are what made the book for me.  There was such emotion and beauty and heartache there, and I think a lot of people were to angry to take that in.

Ultimately, I enjoyed this ending more than that of the likes of Clockwork Princess, where everything is happily ever after for all parties.  This felt more real and raw and captivating than the ending of Clockwork Princess.

When I read, I like to escape to a different place.  I like to imagine life in that world and and live along side the characters.  When I imagine myself in this world, I think a perfect ending where everyone walks off into the sunset would have been less enjoyable.

If you've read Allegiant, please share your thoughts.  I want to hear what y'all think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!