1.10.13

Top Ten Tuesday: Turn-offs

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the wonderful ladies over at
The Broke And The Bookish!

This Week's Topic:
Top Ten Book Turn-offs

In all honesty, everything has felt like a turn-off lately.  I can't even tell you how many books I have picked up, read a couple pages, then put down.  Nothing can hold my attention.  However, these are the things that *really* get on my nerves and turn me off a book.  

I should mention though, that I can overlook these factors if the rest of the book is solid.
Alright, we all hate love triangles.  Sometimes they work, but typically the love triangle is way too obvious and in your face to be enjoyable.

I'm all about my characters.  Wimpy main characters drive me crazy, as does when there is no character development.  I want to see growth.

Unoriginality will make me put a book down.  I don't want to read the same story over and over from different authors.  Same goes for when a series is never-ending (I'm looking at you Morganville Vampires).  It ruins a good thing when the books start to get repetitive.

Fallen angels are a huge turn-off.  I just can't do it.  Add time-travel here, too.  

I love reading reviews, but always take them with a grain of salt.  You have to consider the blogger's tastes.  However, if one of my few trusted blogger's hate it, I likely won't pick it up.

As much as I tell people not to judge a book by it's cover, I often judge a book by it's cover.  The cover is what draws you in, people!  Make it interesting!

If you've been following me for a while, you know I love leather pants and action.  I need action to draw me in.

Finally, if the plot is too predictable, I lose interest.  Easy enough.

And, just because I forgot about it until now... honourable mention goes to flashbacks.  I cannot stand flashbacks!  Say no to excessive flashbacks!

6 comments:

  1. I like how you did this list. It's very creative. And great list too.

    My TTT List

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bad covers are a definite turn off for me as well. Photoshopped animals shouldn't just pop up in one corner and shirtless men deserve to have more of their face shown than their chin. Bleh! Kerrelyn Sparks' publishing house has turned bad covers into an art form. Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list. I agree that bad covers and love triangles are definite turn offs. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you took a picture of your notebook for the list! So nice :) I also agree with everything you just said, except for the fallen angels aspect. Sometimes it can work well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, I love your list format! :) (Silly praise, maybe, but it's true!) And second of all, I love your list! Even though none of ours are the same, I totally agree with everything here. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cool list! The format is very fresh, exciting, and fun to read. I agree with your statement about wimpy main characters. I am an advocate for strong female protagonists, and I get very mad when a girl acts like wimps to get a guy.
    Check out my TTT list: http://booksavvyblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!