27.1.13

Book Review: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

May 26th, 2011
Self-Published
283 pages (eBook format)
The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn't drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend America, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand.Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs - and wants - to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the most-eligible college co-ed. Intrigued by Abby's resistance to his charm, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis' apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has finally met his match. (From Goodreads)
I'll be the first to admit that I did enjoy this book, although I don't think it was for the reason that was intended.  This book was one giant WTF and I kind of enjoyed every moment of it.

Warning: Some spoilers ahead.  Read with caution.
If you wish to avoid them, I've made some the key words in my opinion bold.

So, we start with some insta-infatuation.  Abby goes to an underground fighting ring, gets blood splattered on her, and Travis falls for her.  That's cool I guess.  Maybe I'l try this system out...

But just you wait, things are about to get crazy.  Turns out womanizer and heartbreaker Travis is actually insanely possessive!  Like abusive-possessive.  The guy is bat-shit crazy and that is why I enjoyed the book.  I couldn't figure out what he would do next, and kept waiting for Abby to move on.  But guess what, she doesn't!  This is seriously the most self-destructive relationship ever.

I mean, he got her nickname tattooed on him after two weeks of dating?!  That is sort of a deal breaker in my books (and I think tattoos are hot), yet Abby barely reacts.  I just could not figure these two out.

Then there is the whole gambling sub-plot.  Interestingly enough, that was the point I truly gave up on Travis, but still couldn't stop reading!

If you are looking for a book about a strong, meaningful relationship, Beautiful Disaster is not for you.  However, if you want to an entertaining read about one hell of a crazy couple, this is for you.  I still can't believe how much I enjoyed it...

Much love, Samantha
PS. It's about to get crazier!  Jamie McGuire has written Walking Disaster, which is basically the same book from Travis' POV.  Maybe it will clear up some of the insanity that was this book?  We'll find out April 2nd, 2013.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this one around, but it didn't seem like it would be something for me. I'm such a sap and kind of like meaningful relationships. :/ Great review, though. My interest is kind of piqued, bat-shit crazy love interest and all. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished this one and felt the same way! Batshit crazy indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!