6.9.12

Book Review: The Espressologist by Kristina Springer

Published October 27th, 2009
Farrar Straus Giroux
184 pages (Hardcover)
What’s your drink of choice? 
Is it a small pumpkin spice latte? Then you’re lots of fun and a bit sassy. Or a medium americano? You prefer simplicity in life. Or perhaps it’s a small decaf soy sugar-free hazelnut caffe latte? Some might call you a yuppie. 
Seventeen-year-old barista Jane Turner has this theory that you can tell a lot about a person by their regular coffee drink. She scribbles it all down in a notebook and calls it Espressology. So it’s not a totally crazy idea when Jane starts hooking up some of her friends based on their coffee orders. Like her best friend, Em, a medium hot chocolate, and Cam, a toffee nut latte. But when her boss, Derek, gets wind of Jane’s Espressology, he makes it an in-store holiday promotion, promising customers their perfect matches for the price of their favorite coffee. Things are going better than Derek could ever have hoped, so why is Jane so freaked out? Does it have anything to do with Em dating Cam? She’s the one who set them up! She should be happy for them, right? 
With overtones of Jane Austen’s Emma and brimming with humor and heart, this sweet, frothy debut will be savored by readers. (From Goodreads)
I found this book for $4.99 (Canadian, regular price was $16.99) at Chapters.  I am glad I picked up this fun and quirky read that left me questioning what my Iced Nonfat Caramel Macchiato says about me.

Our protagonist Jane may be crazy judgmental about people, but it made for a good read.  Essentially, she takes their coffee shop favourites, and plays matchmaker based on what that drink says about you.  Her success rate was pretty damn good.  Personally, I didn't like Jane.  Like I said, she's insanely judgmental, a little shallow, and blind to the world around her.  She was fun to read about, though.

I love that Kristina Springer wrote this in a coffee shop, according to her bio.  I get the feeling that she knows her coffee-based drinks, although I do question some of her descriptions of people based on what they drink.  I thought the whole idea was ridiculous, then fascinating, then just a giant "what the heck?".  I want to believe that this is all possible and realistic, but I seriously doubt it.  Still, it was kind of funny.

If you're looking for a light read, or are just a hopeless romantic like me, I recommend checking out The Espressologist!  I also recommend doing so in a coffee shop!  I feel like the caffeine fumes will add to the experience.

Much love, Samantha

1 comment:

  1. I've had this one on my shelf for a while now (I got it cheap too). It looks really cute and a like a quick read, so I should really get to it. Plus, this time of year I'm all about the tasty hot drinks from coffee shops, so it's kind of fitting. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!