24.8.12

TGIF (5): Back To School Reading


TGIF is a weekly meme hosted by Ginger over at GReads!  She asks a question, and everyone can get involved!

And today's question is...
Back To School Reading: Which books would you like to see in today's high school literature classrooms?

As someone who made it through high school reading very little of what they told me to, I like this question.  The book that comes to mind instantly is The List by Siobhan Vivian, which deals with what is beautiful and what is ugly.  I wish I had read this when I was at that stag of my life.

If they don't enjoy it, students aren't going to read it.  Books like Divergent, The Hunger Games, anything by Cassandra Clare or James Patterson should be staples.  Books that appeal to teenagers can be just as important as Shakespeare or Fitzgerald.  If you want them to read, give them material they can enjoy.  

Now, I ask you guys.  What would you keep in your literature classroom?

Much love, Samantha

1 comment:

  1. Very Good. I like that one!

    Here's mine: http://fiktishuhs.blogspot.com/2012/08/tgif_24.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!