18.8.12

Book Review: Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready

Published May 4th, 2010
Simon Pulse
309 pages (Paperback)
Best. Birthday. Ever. At least, it was supposed to be. With Logan's band playing a critical gig and Aura's plans for an intimate after-party, Aura knows it will be the most memorable night of her boyfriend's life. She never thought it would be his last.

Logan's sudden death leaves Aura devastated. He's gone.

Well, sort of.

Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and hear ghosts. This mysterious ability has always been annoying, and Aura had wanted nothing more than to figure out why the Shift happened so she can undo it. But not with Logan's violet-hued spirit still hanging around. Because dead Logan is almost as real as ever. Almost.

It doesn't help that Aura's new friend Zachary is so understanding--and so very alive. His support means more to Aura than she cares to admit.

As Aura's relationships with the dead and the living grow ever complicated, so do her feelings for Logan and Zachary. Each holds a piece of Aura's heart...and clues to the secret of the Shift. (From Goodreads)
I had heard of this series many times, and never really thought much of them.  They just never sparked my interest.  However, I would like to thank the YA Crush Tourney for steering me straight.  You see, when I investigated into what the heck "Team Kilt" was, I found that spark I needed to attempt this trilogy.

And, boy, am I glad I did.

I fell instantly for the love triangle in this book.  It's not your typical girl-must-choose-between-two-hot-boys book, seeing as only one of the two is actually alive.  Aura is simply going through a process of trying to let go of her dead boyfriend and accept her feelings for the new guy, and the ghost complication makes for a good story!

I liked this book more for Logan and Zachary than for Aura.  Nothing against her, but she isn't the type of female protagonist that grabs my attention.  The guys in this book steal the show.  Logan's death shocked me, and made a part of me wishes he would stay forever.  However, Zachary's Scottish-ness was far too attractive to ignore.

And then there's a cliffhanger ending...

I can say I'm glad I waited to read this, seeing as I can now devour Shift immediately!  Yipee for not having to wait a year for publication!

Much love, Samantha

1 comment:

  1. I just started this series, too! I finished Shift last week. I am not a band groupie, so I was not totally sold on the plot, but I really want to know the big conspiracy around the Shift!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!